Natural, Non-Invasive Relief for Parkinsons, Alzheimers and Senile Dementia
Acuclinic International offers a unique and effective treatment program for people who are living with Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimers or Senile Dementia. Our program is based on both traditional alternative medicine approaches to these similar conditions as well as the latest scientific advances in neurorehabilitation through low level laser therapy. Through a specialized combination of low level laser therapy, herbal medication, and dietary and lifestyle recommendations, our patients experience dramatic improvements in their quality of life and many experience reversal of symptoms within the first few weeks of treatment.
Benefits of our special program include:
- Improvement in cognitive functioning and memory
- Improvement in movement related issues such as gait, balance, freezing and falling
- Increased independence in performing daily tasks
- Heightened energy and better moods
- Pain reduction
- Improvement in speech , breathing and swallowing
More than 250 clinical studies conducted worldwide have shown that various forms of natural medicine are effective in combating the above illnesses. They are non-invasive, affordable and without any side-effects. If you or someone you care about suffers from any of these conditions then it would be wise to use them.
Studies confirm that the natural therapies administered at Acuclinic including acupuncture can benefit these conditions:
- In August 2011, researchers at the Department of Neurology and Neurological Sciences at Stanford University determined that stimulation of two acupuncture points (St36 and Sp6) with electroacupuncture protects the brain by creating antioxidative and antiapoptosis effects. The electroacupuncture protected a part of the mid-brain called the substantia nigra. The substantia nigra is an important part of the brain in controlling movement. Parkinson’s disease is caused by the deterioration of dopaminergic neurons in a part of the mid-brain called the substantia nigra pars compacta.
- Research published in the Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine concluded that acupuncture has potential “therapeutic effects and long-term efficacy for neurogenic dysphagia.” Dysphagia is a medical term for difficulty with swallowing. Neurological dysphagia is due to disorders of the nervous system such as Parkinson’s. Signs and symptoms include difficulty with food control in the mouth, difficulty initiating swallowing, choking, coughing, nasal regurgitation and a feeling of food getting stuck in the throat
- Researchers at the Morris K Udall Parkinson’s Research Center of Excellence and Department of Neurology, University of Virginia concluded that low level laser therapy can increase axonal transport in model human dopaminergic neuronal cells and they suggest that LLLT could be used to improve neuronal function in patients with PD.
- In two separate studies – one at the Wellesley College Center for Research on Women, the other at the University of Hong Kong1,2 – scientists have found that acupuncture can increase a patient’s verbal and motor skills and improve mood and cognitive function.
- Researchers in Japan used low level laser therapy over acupuncture points on the scalp in alzheimer patients to determine its effect and found that it stopped progression of the disease and improved quality of life factors, it also helped with pain relief, mitigation of inflammation, and the prevention of bed sores without any side effects reported by the patients or their families.
- a study at the University of Sunderland found that laser light can reverse memory loss and is applicable in cases of dementia and alzheimers
Each patient is assessed individually and the program is tailored based on this assessment to include:
- Low Level Laser Therapy
Low Level Laser Therapy or LLLT has been shown to improve neuronal transport mechanisms which is the area of primary cellular dysfunction in PD and other neurodegenerative conditions. Rersearchers have found that when neuronal cells are exposed to Low Level Laser Light in the correct wavelength and frequency they are encouraged to return to healthy and normal functioning. The laser light photons are absorbed by the mitochondria of the neuronal cells and result in increased neuronal cellular energy as well as the production of substances within the neuronal cells that encourage healing of the cell and restored neuronal transport.
Many scientists think that one of the malfunctioning systems in Parkinson’s, Alzheimers and Senile Dementia is located in the mitochondria. Mitochondria are the cellular engines that transform food into fuel in our bodies and perform their work in the energy-intensive tissue of our brains, retinas, heart and skeletal muscles. In PD, as well as Alzheimers and Senile Dementia patients, mitochondria become metabolically and functionally compromised. Cells slow down, become ineffective in generating energy and over-produce oxygen free radicals. If produced in excess, oxygen free radicals chemically attack all cell components, including proteins, DNA and lipids in cell membranes.Researchers at the University of Virginia School of Medicine have shown that treatment with low level, near-infrared laser enhanced the functioning of mitochondria in cells taken from patients with PD. This has confirmed the results that we have seen at Acuclinic International where patients with Parkinsons, Alzheimers and Senile Dementia have experienced dramatic improvement after this kind of laser therapy.
The researchers concluded: ”Our findings provide early-stage confirmation that LLLT has the potential to improve neuronal function in many patients with PD and other neurological diseases,”
In the case of Alzheimers and Senile Dementia, research as far back as 1993 has shown the effectiveness of Laser therapy for stopping the progression of and even reversing these conditions. The effect is attributed to similar mitochondrial mechanisms as for PD but also as a result of increased cerebral blood flow after laser therapy as well as improved functioning of red blood cells.
Laser therapy has also been shown to stop cell death or apoptosis which is one of the disease mechanisms in all these conditions. Due to this effect the least to be expected from laser therapy is a stop to the deterioration of the patient.
In order to target the neuronal cells in cases of PD, Alzheimers and SD, a specially designed low level laser therapy device is used at Acuclinic International that is placed over the head region and due to both the wavelength and power of the unit being used the laser light is able to reach the brain and thereby enhance cellular function. With this equipment and by using a specific wavelength and power density of the laser, the light is able to penetrate between 3 to 6cm and has an effect directly on the brain cells and nervous tissue.
Many patients report significant changes after the first few treatments though we recommend the full course of treatment as well as the adoption of the recommended dietary and lifestyle changes for a lasting effect.
- Herbal Medication
A number of herbs and minerals have been found to improve both the symptoms of PD, Alzheimers and SD as well as help to correct the underlying pathology. These are formulated for each patient individually after determining the underlying “root patterns” as well as any nutritional deficiencies that are present. Herbal formulae are given in a powder form to taken as a tea in the beginning and later in capsule form once the condition has stabilised.
- Dietary and Lifestyle recommendations
A large body of evidence now suggests that tremendous improvements can be attained in cases of PD with changes to the diet and exercise regimen of patients. At Acuclinic we will give exercise and dietary recommendations based on the initial assessment that will act to enhance the effects of the laser and herbal therapies.
How do the consultations work?
Patients need to come in for an initial assessment where a treatment plan will be formulated consisting of a number of laser therapy sessions, herbal medication and lifestyle recommendations The first session will also include the fist laser therapy treatment and a herbal formula will be prepared and couriered to the patient the next working day.
Thereafter the patient normally needs to come in twice a week for the first 6 weeks, once a week for the next 6 weeks and once every 2 weeks for the following 6 weeks. It is recommended to then come for maintenance sessions once every month. This may be altered depending on each patient’s unique circumstances. It is important to note that the effects of the treatments are cumulative and although there is no guarantee that a patient will get better, there is a much greater chance of success of the therapy if the program is followed properly for a minimum period of 4 months.
How long does the treatment take?
Each session last approximately 30 minutes
How many treatments are needed?
Each case is different, however we recommend a period of at least 4 months.
Do I need to stop my medication while on this treatment?
No. This treatment is done in conjunction with your current medication. We will work together with your current doctor.
Are there any side-effects of the treatment?
There are usually no side-effects of the treatment. Normally patients tend to be more alert and awake after the treatment and some patients may feel light-headed.
How much does it cost?
The initial consultation is R375. Each follow up session is R250. Herbal medication is charged seperately depending on the herbs used and length of therapy.
Medical aids cover treatment depending on your particular plan, you will however need to pay for treatment upfront.
How do I make an appointment?
Kindly call 0118520729 to schedule an appointment or request more information, or fill the form below and we will get back to you: